Technically it’s not possible to amend your IP address. However, you can mask it.
The sole intention of changing your IP address is to disguise yourself online.
Apply Proxy to Change Your IP Address
One of the simplest way to make it possible is, by using a proxy. It enables you to make both temporary or long-term changes, which allows you to switch between your native IP address and the proxy address.
Although, if you are using a proxy address it doesn’t change your original IP address, it shadows it to appear like a different IP address. Your original address continues to be used, but the information is redirected using the proxy address so that the websites you visit, only get to catch the proxy address.
Why Get A New IP Address?
There are multiple reasons as to why you should change your IP address. Some of them are :
- To keep your identity anonymous on the internet.
- To bypass web censorship and surveillance.
- To break out of a restricted network
Changing Your IP Address
The alteration of any IP address relies on how an individual is connected to the internet. If connected through a router, you need to change the router’s IP address. If you are connected to the internet directly through a gateway, the IP address of your computer needs to be changed. Since there are various ways to change your IP address, Let’s discuss the most common method, which requires changing your router’s IP address.
How To Change A Router’s IP Address
Routers, a triple layered networking device, is used to connect multiple devices to the internet. In a network that has a dynamic IP address, a router is assigned a public IP address, and each of the devices is assigned with a private one. In order to change your router’s IP address, you can take the following steps :
- Turn off the router for a minute and then turn it on back.
- You should repeat turning off and turning on your router for quite a few times, and it is possible that your ISP might generate a new IP address. If it doesn’t happen, keep the router off overnight and turn it on the next day.
- Reconnect the router to your ISP via an administrative interface. A lot of routers can be disconnected and then reconnected to the ISP through the interface. This might enable you to change your router’s IP address.